Thursday, May 26, 2011

Words, words, words..

"A man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a king, and eat of the fish that hath fed of that worm."
- William Shakespeare, Hamlet, 4.3

       I like the circle of life and death that this quote talks about. It reminds me of how pointless it is to try to compete to be able to say, "Ha, ha. I'm better than you." When we die, we are all equal. What we did during our lives does not give us any status in death. I feel as though this quote humbles me in this aspect. This quote also reminds me that there are forces such as nature and the circle of life and death, that are bigger than us. It makes sure that we do not fall victim to hubris such as Ahab did in Moby Dick. The idea of death ultimately, keeps us in check.

No comments:

Post a Comment